Monday, March 3, 2014

Class on 3/3/14

Reminder: No Class on 3/5/14

Warm Up: Students stated one activity they do for exercise.
Some students were quizzed about others and responded with third person conjugations of the same verb=
                   "I run in the park." changes to   "She runs in the park."

for the last Homework on news stories most students copied text from the story. We must learn how

Example paragraph
        I went running on Saturday night. I don't usually go running at night. I turned down a street that I don't usually run on. Then all of a sudden I heard a sound. Bam! My toe hit a bump in the sidewalk. I heard the smack of my hands as they hit the concrete. I was on the ground. There was no sound. My dog whined and I immediately felt embarrassed. Then I understood that I had really fallen hard onto the sidewalk. I got up. My hands were dirty but not bloody. My knees were stinging. I turned around and started to limp home. 

Paraphrases (in your own words) from student (in pairs):
  1. Garth was running and fell.
  2. Garth runs and falls.
  3. Garth fell to the ground.
  4. Garth ran and hurt himself.
  5. He fell.
  6. He ran, bumped and fell.
  7. Garth fell down.
  8. He tumbled and injured himself.
  9. Garth fell down very hard.
  10. Garth had a small accident.
  11. Garth exercised and got hurt.
Students practiced looking for Quotes 

He "started to limp home."
He was "dirty but not bloody."
He fell and"hit the concrete."
He fell "hard onto the sidewalk."

In Class sample reading
http://www.thetimesinplainenglish.com/wp/how-to-stay-healthy-read-nutrition-labels/

Paraphrases (in your own words):
The FDA approved nutrition fact labels.
The FDA is changing to new nutrition labels.
The children are obese because of sugar.
The FDA renews food labels.
The FDA changes to more visible food labels.
The FDA is thinking about sugar levels.
The FDA provides better information for consumers.
The FDA is changing nutrition levels in food.

Main idea. Paraphrasing Self-Confidence"

Self-confidence is trust in yourself.
Self-confidence is being your brave self.
Self-confidence is trusting yourself to solve anything.
Self-confidence is believing in yourself.

Homework: Student book- finish reading page 16 and complete page 17.










No comments: