Friday, February 18, 2011

Class on 2/17/2011

Students corrected last weeks homework in their notebooks.

Students wrote two sentences about themselves and surveyed other students.

Whole group lecture on Simple Present, Past and Present and Past Progressive. In a table students compared the different tenses and discussed the correct situation for using each. Many students were using past progressive to describe events that need the use of simple past.

Simple Past: Regular spelling and pronunciation with "-ed"

I walked home.
I talked to her.
I watched TV.
He cooked dinner.
She turned on the machine.

Simple Past: Irregular spelling and pronunciation


I ran home.
I spoke to her.
I saw that movie.
She made dinner.
He had a good idea.
She drank the juice.
He drove all day.
He taught me nothing.
She went to school.
They slept all day.

Students shared their paragraphs about family and school memories. Review of Paragraph rules with emphasis that the last sentence CANNOT be too specific. If a paragraph about your family ends with the sentence, "My niece love pink cupcakes" then it distracts from the theme/main idea of the paragraph.

Students read one paragraph (top right of page 23) and tired to write a sentence in their own words to describe the main idea. Several examples were shared with the whole class.

Homework:
Read page 25 (about Patty Smith Hill) and write 3 sentences that identify three important facts about this innovator.





No comments: